Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weather Windows

Waiting for just the right weather to start a short voyage (from Marion to Annapolis, offshore via Cape May) can be frustrating, especially in October.  Well, this October anyway. I've done this several times in the past, but this time seems more difficult than usual. Part of it's because I have two cautious people advising me not to take the kind of chances I have in the past. Part of it's because I missed one opportunity due to what I thought was the flu coming on. And part of it's because I'm trying to take as little time off as possible, which means the voyage needs to include Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, my normal days off. 


There's a part of me that just wants to go, aim for Cape May, and take what comes, weatherwise. The last time I did that alone, I had headwinds the whole way -- SW 5-20 from Marion to Cape May, NW 20-35 up Delaware Bay (not fun!), and SW 18-22 from the C & D Canal to Annapolis, with a lull of several hours of no wind in the canal and upper Chesapeake. (The photo above is of the sea buoy off Cape May at dawn.) 

Some wise person long ago told me to set a date for departure, and ready or not, leave on that day. Otherwise, he said, I'd never go.  I think that applies to many things in life, not just leaving on a sea voyage. 

This year, however, there have been too many signs telling me to delay -- getting a bad cold was just the final straw.  Gracie's usual keeper not being able to take her over the period I'd intended to sail, counseling clients in crisis, and really sucky weather were among them.  I've learned over the years from painful experience of not listening to things like that -- especially my body -- and getting in trouble as a result. Call it instinct, intuition, inspiration, messages from God, the mind-body connection, whatever. When I didn't listen and barged ahead, it was always a mistake.  So now, this year, I'm listening -- to my body, intuition, friends, advisors, the weather, a cautious co-owner and her weather service.  I don't like it.  I want to go -- and get back to work as quickly as possible. But here I am.  Being patient, waiting.  But sooner or later, I'm simply going to sail away...when the signs are telling me it's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment